Wednesday, July 15, 2009

MCS v.3.6 initialized Java error IBM RSA Card remoting in

First I used a Virtual Machine to connect to it (its default address is 192.168.70.125)

But for the life of me I couldn't connect after hardcoding the address. That is until I noticed the DHCP setting was

'Try DHCP server. If it fails, use static IP config'

Which is not what I wanted, I set it to 'Disabled - Use static IP configuration' and then I could connect, joy!

Then my next annoyance was trying to get the remote control to work.

Got the below error

MCS v.3.6 initialized
Initializing RemoteDisk v2.2
Connected via socket: Socket[addr=/131.107.1.202,port=2000,localport=18428]
java.lang.NullPointerException
at mcsClient.Row.isValid(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.invalidateIfValid(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.setLocale(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JPanel.(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JPanel.(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JPanel.(Unknown Source)
at mcsClient.Row.(Unknown Source)
at mcsClient.Options.(Unknown Source)
at mcsClient.McsToolBar.(Unknown Source)
at mcsClient.McsClient.begin(Unknown Source)
at mcsClient.McsClient.init(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

With some searching found out that I needed to downgrade my java version. Java 6 update 13 doesn't work. Java 5 update 11 does

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this sorted me out nicely

Arse said...

Thanks for the info. But have you ever had any luck with the latest Java version (1.6.0_21 on Sept. 1st, 2010)

Could it be just a simple java console configuration issue?

I can't believe I have to downgrade Java, this is ridiculous.

David

Unknown said...

I've also found RSA 2 java support quite terrible. Updates from Sun (err, oracle) shouldn't break RSA so easily. I've spent half a day trying to find a working version that supports three different java apps we use in day to day admin activities. Come on Big Blue!